The new ITR Forms 1, 2 and 4S were notified for the Assessment Year 2015-16 vide Notification No. 41/2015, Dated 15-04-2015. However, in view of representations received from various stakeholders, the CBDT came out with simplified version of ITR forms 1, 2, 2A and 4S.
Now the CBDT has notified the remaining ITR forms, viz, ITR Forms 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 vide Notification No. 61/2015. Key changes in ITR forms is highlighted below.
1) Expenditure on CSR activities: Section 37(1) was amended by the Finance (No. 2) Act, 2014 to provide that any expenditure incurred by an assessee on the activities relating to corporate social responsibility (CSR) shall not be allowed as deduction as same could not be considered to be incurred for the purposes of the business or profession. Accordingly, ITR 6 has been revised to provide for reporting of expenditure on CSR activities if the same is debited to profit and loss account.
2) Foreign portfolio investors/Foreign Institutional investors: Foreign Institutional Investor (FII) and Foreign Portfolio Investor (FPI) are required to furnish their SEBI registration number in the new ITR 5 and 6.
3) Bank accounts held by assessee: In old return forms taxpayers are required to give details of only one bank account. Now in new return forms taxpayer are required to report details of all bank accounts except dormant accounts.
4) Change in partners/members: A new column has been inserted in ITR-5 to require the assessee to furnish the details of change in the partners/members of the firm/AOP/BOI, as the case may be, during the previous year.
5) Aadhaar Number and passport number: Aadhaar number and passport number are required to be given in new ITR 3 and 4 (if assessee has obtained the same).